David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 7 19:55:54 UTC 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:46 PM, Robert Current wrote:
> But the problem is the intermediates who gather all
> that data, and compile it into a single listing source claim it to be
> their property, un-redistributable (even if they got the info from
> free sources)?
>
> Can they really claim property rights and copyright protection on what
> amounts to plagiarism?

I don't know if they can legally claim copyright protection, but they
can certainly say, "here are the terms under which we'll give you
access to the data we've gathered.  If you don't like them, you'll
have to get it somewhere else."  That's just them choosing who they
want to do business with, which is pretty well established as their
right under contract law.

To use an admittedly imperfect analogy, Betty Crocker can't copyright
their recipes, but that doesn't mean they're obligated to give me a
book of them for free. ;)