[mythtv-users] Dual Core or Dual CPU??

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:24:24 UTC 2007

> Because the Athlon64X2 is almost the same price as the Core 2 Duo and is
> pretty much well out-performed...

Performance very much depends on the application. I and I disagree about the
same price as a Athlon64X2 4000 is $69 and there are no core2 chips anywhere
near that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103774.

At that you probably do not want dual Opterons as that will cost you a lot
of money (probably more than $1000) and I do not believe it is cost
effective. BTW, I am dual 2.4GHz 850s with 4GB of ram that I bought early
last year. I use it as my main desktop at home. With powersaving it runs
about 150W idle with all 4 Seagate 7200.10 drives I run in raid5 spinning.
As for transcoding, 4GB of memory does help a lot (I wish I had 8) but the
one thing I have to say with MythTV is none of Mytharchive or the
transcoding tools make any use of the second processor (well at least as of
the SVN version I grabbed in mid Feb,2007).

John