[mythtv-users] Dual Core or Dual CPU??

GyroTech gyrotech at freakinabox.com
Sat Aug 4 13:47:37 UTC 2007

Bill Williamson wrote:
> Why not the best of both worlds with an AMD64X2?  My backend runs a
> dual core 4000+ X2 and doesn't miss a beat with two HD streams doing
> realtime commercial transcoding.  This is on an nforce 430
> motherboard.

Because the Athlon64X2 is almost the same price as the Core 2 Duo and is
pretty much well out-performed... Though most of my benchmarking comes
from more gaming oriented sources so I don't know if that inflects some
sort of bias (of how they test, rather than which chips they prefer).
Plus it still has the limitation of both cores sharing the memory bus,
and so doesn't give any advantage over the Intel CPU.

Thanks,

GT