[mythtv-users] Is Wider better?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Apr 30 22:58:01 UTC 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Scott wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Peter A. Daly wrote:
>
>> In the next few months I'll be in the market for a new LCD screen
>> for a small/medium sized room.  It will be replacing a 19" CRT TV.
>>
>> I think I've decided to go the LCD computer monitor route rather
>> than the LCD TV route.  We watch exclusively (right now) SD
>> recorded from TV content.
>
> So, SD content is 4:3, not 16:9 wide screen format....
>
>> Budget wise, it looks like a 22" widescreen or 20" (normal) display
>> is the choice it's coming down to.
>>
>> Would I be better off with a 20" 4:3 display instead of a
>> widescreen?  The 22" widescreen seems like the obvious choice on
>> the surface, but since I mostly watch SD content, would I be better
>> off with the 4:3 20"?
>
> I would say stick with a 4:3 screen unless you get into DVD watching
> or HDTV. The ideal screen is one that fits the content format you
> watch the most of.
>

>> I don't currently own a widescreen, but have heard they are not
>> great for SD content.  However, it looks like widescreen's are all
>> the rage.  Thanks for any advice.
>
> Resist the rage and buy what fits your viewing style :)

I have to disagree. I say deal with the black bars in SD in
preparation for when all content goes to HD format. I have a 42" HDTV
display but mostly watch 4:3 content from DirecTV. Sure, the bars are
a little annoying but you get used to them quickly and when I pop in
a DVD or watch something I've captured OTA HD, it's a REAL treat.