[mythtv-users] Is Wider better?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Apr 30 23:07:04 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I have to disagree. I say deal with the black bars in SD in
> preparation for when all content goes to HD format. I have a 42" HDTV
> display but mostly watch 4:3 content from DirecTV. Sure, the bars are
> a little annoying but you get used to them quickly and when I pop in
> a DVD or watch something I've captured OTA HD, it's a REAL treat.

I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep your set, and how much
money you have.  4:3 monitors are *cheap* these days - so if you're
going to keep it only for a couple of years, I'd say go for the 4:3.

OTOH if you have the money and you're planning long term, and you have
the space to waste, go for a 16:9 with a comparable 4:3 viewing area.
This will be a good bit bigger than a 4:3 monitor....

Just my $0.02....