[mythtv-users] Bunch of MythArchive questions / problems

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 29 20:36:16 UTC 2007

DM - MythTV wrote:

>> But seriously, who knows what Windows and Nero might be doing? I'd get a
>> burner into the Myth machine ASAP.
>>
> Ironic that you say that, since I don't ever have much luck burning
> disks (CD or DVD) under Linux; in fact, worse luck than using XPs native
> burner support.  For me it's harder to predict and control bus and
> system load under Linux than Windows (especially since the PCI bus on
> the Linux box is nearly at capacity).  I hardly ever have a problem with
> Nero tho, hence why I still pay for the license.

I've personally had nothing but trouble trying to burn things with
Windows, both with Nero and it's competition. I have to admit, though,
that I really don't know much about Windows, I use it primarily for a
couple of hardware items I own that have no Mac or Unix drivers
available (OBDII and GPS gear).

The main advantage to commercial S/W IMHO is that the support people are
forced to listen to you whether they want to or not.

> Since it's an image, Nero shouldn't be doing anything do it, but I'll
> try transferring over the DVD burner when I get a chance to shut the
> server down to see if that helps.  I suspect this will only be an
> elimination step, however.

I agree that since it's an ISO it *should* work, but obviously something
isn't working correctly, and you just have to start eliminating
possibilities one by one, and simplifying your burn system so as to
eliminate as many variables as possible.