[mythtv-users] boot off compact flash. Recordings & SQL DB on same drive?

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 03:00:11 UTC 2007

On 4/28/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Bob.
>
> On 28 Apr 2007, at 04:09, Bob wrote:
> >> Because if I need to put / on a separate hard-drive then my
> >> choices are:
> >> - buy an 80gig hard-drive (the smallest currently available new)
> >> for / and leave it mostly empty
> >> - find an old 20gig - 40gig drive lying around & use that.
> >>
> >> In either of these cases it seems to me that having two hard-drives
> >> running will be noisier than having merely one. An older drive that I
> >> had lying around is likely to be older and particularly noisy!!
> >>
> >> Using a CFcard would therefore seem to reduce noise somewhat. I can
> >> accept having a single hard-drive operating when I am watching TV,
> >> but I would prefer to reduce the number of other components making
> >> noise.
> >>

> > I'd do what I suggest in this thread
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/265064#265064
> > put /etc and a few of the more static mount points on a CF card
> > with the rest on a Fujitsu 200GB 4200RPM laptop harddrive.
> > if you put /etc and a few of the more static mount points on a CF card
> > with the rest on a Fujitsu 200 you could then use LVM to join
> > whatever's
> > left of that drive with another, probably resulting in around 390GB of
> > storage for recordings, that consume less than 5w"
>
> Off the top of my head (it's early here, and I've only just poured my
> second cup of tea) I take "a few of the more static mount points" to
> mean everything except /var - logging & MySQL database.
>
> So I've partitioned the 200gig drive into 10gig for those & 190gig
> for recordings - that leaves the MySQL database on the same drive as
> recordings. Does this not create a problem?
>
> I'm sure that I had read that accesses to the MySQL database had
> caused glitches during recording for some people. Is this correct?
> Does it only apply to HD?
>
> Stroller.

I seem to have missed some of the conversation, but I will tell you
about my setup.

I have two 160 gig drives, the /, /opt, /var, /home, /usr, /video are
located on the first drive and are lvm2.  The /boot is a primary
partition on the first drive.  The second drive is also lvm2 and I
have used it to extend the /video partition.

I have mysql, postgresql, mythbackend, and bind running on this
machine.  The name server is the primary for my local network,
resolving both local and external net.  It servers as the master for
another machine running as the slave.  My capture card is a PVR 500
mce connected to two directv set top boxes.

The drives are both sata and connected to an Athlon 64 X2 on an asus
m2npv-vm mobo with 1  gig of dual channel ram.

I have never had a problem with any recording.

My lvm setup is very compact for the most part, I usually create the
/, /var, /opt, and /usr to be very close to what I expect them to need
and if necessary I can grow them.

I don't think there should be a problem with mysql and logging taking
place on the same drive as the recording.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at