[mythtv-users] SA3250HD Firewire -- A New User's Findings

Benton Roberts benton at panix.com
Sun Apr 29 01:13:39 UTC 2007

d-larson wrote:
> Are you able to access premium channels with
> MythTv and firewire?

I can't answer this definitively, because I don't pay for the premium
channels. However, I think it's likely that those who do pay for them
can indeed read them over firewire, and here's why:

For the first 48 hours or so after I traded in my Time-Warner-supplied
dual-tuner SA8300HD DVR for two SA3250HDs, the HBO-HD channel was coming
in clear, even though I had not paid for it. (I've head similar "free
preview period" stories from other users, after they changed or renewed
their digital TV service packages.) During that time, I was indeed able
to record a short segment (about 90 seconds) from HBO-HD. So I think
it's likely that you would be able to.

On the other hand, as reported previously in this thread, I am for some
reason unable to record the series "Planet Earth" on Discovery HD, even
though the channel is free with digital HD service, and even though I
*can* record from the channel at least some of the time. This leads me
to believe that for some channels, the 5C encryption can actually be
turned on or off on a program-by-program basis? Can anyone here verify
or debunk that?

I will try to post a (hopefully) comprehensive list of which basic cable
channels come in clear over Time-Warner Cable of Manhattan's
firewire-enabled 3250s some time in the next week.

- benton