[mythtv-users] Slowdown with higher res display

Cool Frood aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:35:10 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2007 10:12 AM, Cool Frood wrote:

> >> Pretty much.
> >>
> >> ls -al ~/.mythtv/themecache/*/
> >>
> >> shows you all the theme images that are loaded from (compressed) PNG's
> >> into memory (uncompressed).
> > I'm using Titivillus.  There are some pretty large images in there.
> > I'm assuming that not all of them are loaded at the same time.  If
> > they are, I should at least get rid of Torrentocracy that I installed
> > but never use.
>
> They're loaded as needed, but remember that the kernel is trying to
> prevent your having to read them off the disk again.  They will
> /definitely/ contribute to RAM usage, which can trigger swap usage.
> That's why I recommended restarting mythfrontend and mythbackend after
> changing themes...to help "reset" the swap usage (although a full reboot
> will give you best real-world usage info).

Right now, the top information shows:

 5927 root      15   0  711m 140m 1708 S  0.0 28.0 700:11.87 Xorg
18564 mythtv    15   0  604m 125m  14m S  0.0 25.0 113:14.69 mythfrontend

as the worst memory offenders.  Once I get back home, I will try
changing the theme and restarting the system and see how it goes.

Thanks.