[mythtv-users] Slowdown with higher res display

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 27 14:20:33 UTC 2007

On 04/27/2007 10:12 AM, Cool Frood wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/25/2007 04:50 PM, Cool Frood wrote:
>>
>>> My guess is that mythfrontend and/or X.org are now taking up a whole
>>> lot of RAM because of the much higher resolution (2.2x more pixels)
>>> and the system tends to thrash because I have only 512MB of RAM.  Is
>>> my hunch correct or am I missing something?
>> Pretty much.
>>
>> ls -al ~/.mythtv/themecache/*/
>>
>> shows you all the theme images that are loaded from (compressed) PNG's
>> into memory (uncompressed).
> I'm using Titivillus.  There are some pretty large images in there.
> I'm assuming that not all of them are loaded at the same time.  If
> they are, I should at least get rid of Torrentocracy that I installed
> but never use.

They're loaded as needed, but remember that the kernel is trying to
prevent your having to read them off the disk again.  They will
/definitely/ contribute to RAM usage, which can trigger swap usage.
That's why I recommended restarting mythfrontend and mythbackend after
changing themes...to help "reset" the swap usage (although a full reboot
will give you best real-world usage info).

Mike