[mythtv-users] Low Power MythTV Server on Via EPIA M6000 - 37 watts

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:52:47 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> They're expensive, but I'd definitely push for the PicoPSU with any
> system of such small wattage.

They're not too bad, you can get the PicoPSU-120 + 60w Brick for $55 now:
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-120-power-kit

Considering that the PicoPSU-120 goes for $50 alone, that's a great
deal if your system draws less than 60w!

The 80w brick costs $30 and the 110w brick $40, but unfortunately the
110w brick has a small fan in it.

> Although, you might also look into "80+" rated power supplies (which
> have limited availability right now).  To get the 80+ rating, they
> have to be at least 80% efficient at some preset loads.  I can't
> remember what the lower bound is, but I want to say 20 Watts (but
> don't hold me to that!).

Unfortunately your typical 80+ 300w PSU drops below 80% efficiency
below 50w or so since to meet 80+ standards, they only need to be 80%
efficient at 20% load which is 60w for a 300w PSU. There isn't anyone
who makes a lower power 80+ PSU except for maybe 1 or 2 hard to find
250w units.

PicoPSU is the way to go for a system drawing less than 80w peak for sure.

-Dave