[mythtv-users] FC5 to FC6 upgrade

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 27 03:31:49 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 12:20:13 Greg Woods wrote:
> I'm currently running a backend under FC5 that has a PVR-500 and an HD
> Homerun for tuners. My basic question is about upgrading FC5 to FC6; can
> I do this with an upgrade or is it just as easy to do a complete
> reinstall? I am running SVN compiled from source if that makes a
> difference.

Not really, but I'd certainly recompile after the upgrade. May not be
absolutely necessary, but there were lots of toolchain and library changes
from fc5 to fc6.

> There are two main reasons for wanting to upgrade: a minor one is that
> FC6 contains a driver for my HP722C printer that I would like to attach
> to this server so I can have a shared printer in the basement.

Could just upgrade only the parts you *must* upgrade...

> The
> second and more important reason is that my experience with external
> FireWire disks is that FireWire works far better under FC6 than under
> FC5.

Could do the same here too. That said, I'd just do the entire upgrade.

> I don't know for sure this would apply to getting FireWire from a
> DCT-6200 cable box, but I suspect it would. I have never been able to
> make this work under FC5; all I get is empty recordings (and yes, I've
> read the Wiki and past threads on this subject and I've tried every
> suggestion and procedure that I could find without any success). This is
> now a larger issue because, as has been discussed in a different thread,
> there are more channels available over FireWire than previously, and I
> might even be able to get a couple of key HD channels this way that are
> not available to my HD Homerun.

Hm... I first played with my own cable box under FC5 (or was it 4?). Haven't
really touched it lately, couldn't tell you if its fabulous under FC6 anymore
anyhow though, since my frontend is running pre-F7 devel code, which has an
entirely new (and not yet feature-complete) firewire stack. But I *thought*
the necessary firewire libs (primarily libraw1394 and libiec61883) were at
the same version for fc5 and fc6, or perhaps I didn't bother updating fc5 to
the latest and greatest (nb: I'm now the primary maintainer within Red Hat
for most firewire-related packages in Fedora. :)

> Has anybody done an FC5 -> FC6 upgrade? How was it?

Did that upgrade to both my backend and frontend boxes back when FC6 was
released. Didn't touch anaconda, did everything with yum. Don't recall any
major issues, and both boxes kept chugging along fine.

> Is it better to
> completely reinstall or do an upgrade?

Hard to say w/o knowing the exact setup. Both *should* be doable. I'm partial
to doing upgrades via yum myself, sometimes only biting off small chunks of
packages to upgrade at a time. Patience is definitely a good thing, as there
are occasional dependency oddities that may trip you up (moreso on x86_64 due
to evolving multilib support than on i386).

> Did it help get FireWire working?

No clue, sorry. :)

--
Jarod Wilson