[mythtv-users] Temporary Firewire Workaround?

Bryan Mayland bmayland at leoninedev.com
Thu Apr 26 19:58:23 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> My PVR-500 has video inputs. . . can I use those to capture?  Can they
> capture at the same time as the tuner? (obviously SD only)
>
> I could set a prog to change the channels via firewire, and just capture
> via svideo for now.

    I actually have one of my cards set up like this.  Yes you can use
the a Svideo input into the PVR-500 from the cablebox to record in
myth.  I have PVR-150 which only has one input, but it can only be used
for either the tuner *or* the svideo (because there is only one encoder
chip).  If a 500 has 2 separate sets of inputs, I would assume that you
could use one of the tuners and still have the encoder free to use on
video in.

    I just changed the capture card definition to go off SVideo 1
instead of Tuner 1, then used an external tuner command (the firewire
6200ch from the contrib/channel_changers directory).

    Works like a charm until I can fix my firewire problem (which is a
lack of PMT and PAT in the stream that comes from the box).