[mythtv-users] PCI Latency question(s)

Brian Walter blwalter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:10:44 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I'm trying to debug an issue with my 2 hauppauge cards.  I have 1
PVR-150 and 1 PVR-500.

When all inputs on both cards (a total of 3) are recording, I get DMA
errors from IVTV driver.

After some hunting around, I found from the IVTV list that latency
issues with the drive controller can lead to this.  I've been playing
around with setting the latency, but, with no luck so far.

Here's what I got:

lspci -v
<snip>
00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
(prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8239
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
        I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
        Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [b0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/2 Enable-
        Capabilities: [cc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

<snip>

[root at mythtvserver1 ~]# setpci -v -s 00:05.0 latency_timer=ff
00:05.0:0d ff

lspci -v

<snip>
00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
(prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 8239
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
        I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
        Memory at fe02d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [b0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/2 Enable-
        Capabilities: [cc] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

Is this just a function of the controller/MB?  Or am I missing something
obvious?

The motherboard is Asus M2N-SLI deluxe.

TIA
Brian