[mythtv-users] mythwelcome - shutdown while mythfrontend running?

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:24:05 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Matt Doran <matt.doran at papercut.biz> wrote:
> It looks like we're really giving the mythwelcome/mythshutdown a workout!

I sure am. :-) Just trying to save a bit of electricity.

> I originally had the "Block" on, but it would mean that the machine
> would not turn off after completing the transcode jobs, which defeated
> the purpose of implementing the shutdown.

> I too have noticed that it occasionally shuts down when I'm playing
> around backend (like restarting it).    I think if there is no activity
> from the front-end, it doesn't realise anyone's connected.   Maybe this
> could be improved by the front-end pinging the back-end periodically
> when sitting idly on a menu???

OK, so the behavior I am seeing matches yours.

I think ideally, we shouldn't care about shutting down if the frontend
is just sitting there idle at a menu. After all, how many people leave
their frontend sitting there idle 99% of the time? Even after I
started using mythwelcome I did this. Now that the backend won't
shutdown with the frontend running I exit the frontend all the time as
normal behavior, but I would prefer to leave the frontend in a menu
most of the time.

You would probably want to add the option "allow shutdown after
frontend is idle 15 minutes" and then make sure the frontend
periodically checks in with the backend when it's doing something
(your 'ping' check).

Similar 'ping' checks might be a good idea to integrate into mythweb
as well to prevent shutdown in the middle of a web session.

-Dave