[mythtv-users] Bind to multiple network cards

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:06:01 UTC 2007

> In mythtv-setup, you can set the address of the server and I have chosen
> the network card that serves the computers in the house (as they were my
> first myth frontends). Is there any way to specify two network
> addresses? If not, is there another way I can make this work, or do you
> think I have missed something more fundamental?

No, I believe this is expected.  AFAIK, the backend will only bind to a
single IP.

On my system, I have two networks as follows:

House LAN (192.168.1.0/24) ---- Myth Backend ---- Myth LAN (192.168.2.0/24)

With mythbackend binding to 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.4.  So, in order to
allow machines on the house LAN to be able to see the Myth box, I set up
static routes on the house boxes to 192.168.2.0/24 through 192.168.1.4.
With that done, I simply point the FEs in the House LAN to 192.168.2.1, and
everything just works.

It does, of course, require setting up the routing tables on any machine
that will be running the FE, but that's a minor inconvenience that only
needs to be done once.

As an alternative solution, I could've probably used IP chains to do port
forwarding on the backend box from 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.2.1, but since I
haven't looked into this, I can't elaborate on the details.  Modifying the
routing seems like a less hackish solution. :)

Brett.