[mythtv-users] Adding a new hard disk

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 09:58:33 UTC 2007

Hey,

Having read about the performance benefit of using a separate hard
disk for the OS/MySQL, I'm going to slot in a new drive. At the
moment I have one 400GB drive divided into the following partitions:

Filesystem		Size	Used	Avail	Use%	Mounted on
/dev/sda2		24G		8.0G	15G		36%	/				ext3
/dev/sda6		269G	182G	88G		68%	/Media			xfs
/dev/sda1		99M	14M	80M	15%	/boot			ext3
/dev/sda5		77G		59G		15G		81%	/home			ext3

No LVM and no RAID.

So, what I'd like to do is migrate the OS, /boot, /home and swap over
to a new disk, but I'm at a bit of a loss how to get it booting from
the new disk? Is it as simple as recreating the partitions on the new
disk, plugging that into the first SATA channel and the 'old' disk in
the secondary, and re-referencing the partitions in fstab?

Thanks,

Ben