[mythtv-users] Can't Do HD ATSC Playback

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:33:24 UTC 2007

Alex, thanks!  That did help me understand a bit more, I'll read up on XvMC.

On 4/25/07, Alex Halovanic <halovanic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert, the processor on yours is *far* too low-end to play back a
> full HD-sized video without some sort of hardware assistance like
> XvMC.

I figured..  I've been wanting to try MythTV for years, and the only
way I got around to doing it was with this "hand me down" PC.  I can't
complain about it too much considering the price...

>  If you don't want to get a new motherboard+processor,
> then you may have good luck with a 5xxx series Nvidia card, which are
> pretty much the low end of the video card market now.

Cool, that's exactly what I was hoping to find out.  I've been eyeing
this card, think it might allow me to playback OTA HD?
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NA-5200-128MB-TV

If so, and if I used the S-Video out, would MythTV scale the OTA HD
recordings down to a letter-boxed image on a regular TV (if I wanted
to use a TV instead of my monitor)?

Rob C.