[mythtv-users] Best use of 2 500G drives in FE/BE system

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:25:08 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Tue Apr 24, 2007 at 07:07:19PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > > time to move some many GB of HD recordings....
>
> > Just a warining. I have only tested this on locally mounted volumes in
> > my storage groups.
>
> MythTV's Storage Groups will search for a recording in all directories
> referenced in the Storage Groups config.  It first searches for the
> file in the Storage Group you put the file in originally, but it will
> search all directories in the Storage Groups table eventually if it
> does not find the file where it is supposed to be.
>
> One of the things in the back of my mind when coding Storage Groups was
> archival.  You could have an Archive Storage Group that points to a
> directory or directories that are used for archiving recordings.  If
> you wanted to move a recording from the Default Storage Group into
> the Archive Group, just mv the file and Myth will find it.  Since the
> Archive Group isn't referenced in any of your recording profiles, then
> no new recordings would go there, only recordings you moved there
> yourself.  Since Myth falls back to searching all directories, it would
> find these recordings without you having to touch the database at
> all after moving the file.  I started writing a builtin 'Migrate' job
> in the JobQueue that will be used for moving recordings between
> Storage Groups, but put it on the back burner a while back.  Eventually
> you'll be able to do this mv within Myth from the JobQueue menu.
> The AutoExpirer might be able to take advantage of this eventually as
> well, so it could migrate a recording instead of deleting it or migrate
> recordings to keep free disk space equally spread out over the directories
> in a Storage Group.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Chris!  I moved over a bunch of my
recordings and it looks like myth finds them so that makes me happy.
time to do the daunting task of adding some drives, upgrading the
kernel and oh yea, killing my current uptime of 150days =(

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!