[mythtv-users] Best use of 2 500G drives in FE/BE system

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Apr 25 03:23:54 UTC 2007

* On Tue Apr 24, 2007 at 07:07:19PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > time to move some many GB of HD recordings....

> Just a warining. I have only tested this on locally mounted volumes in
> my storage groups.

MythTV's Storage Groups will search for a recording in all directories
referenced in the Storage Groups config.  It first searches for the
file in the Storage Group you put the file in originally, but it will
search all directories in the Storage Groups table eventually if it
does not find the file where it is supposed to be.

One of the things in the back of my mind when coding Storage Groups was
archival.  You could have an Archive Storage Group that points to a
directory or directories that are used for archiving recordings.  If
you wanted to move a recording from the Default Storage Group into
the Archive Group, just mv the file and Myth will find it.  Since the
Archive Group isn't referenced in any of your recording profiles, then
no new recordings would go there, only recordings you moved there
yourself.  Since Myth falls back to searching all directories, it would
find these recordings without you having to touch the database at
all after moving the file.  I started writing a builtin 'Migrate' job
in the JobQueue that will be used for moving recordings between
Storage Groups, but put it on the back burner a while back.  Eventually
you'll be able to do this mv within Myth from the JobQueue menu.
The AutoExpirer might be able to take advantage of this eventually as
well, so it could migrate a recording instead of deleting it or migrate
recordings to keep free disk space equally spread out over the directories
in a Storage Group.

--
Chris