[mythtv-users] Please recommend hardware for caller id via MythTV

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:45:08 UTC 2007

On 24/04/07, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'd really like to display caller id info on my Myth boxes but I lack the
> necessary hardware.  I don't think I've had a machine with a modem for 7
> years or so.
>
> I've searched the web to try to find some recent info on this but haven't
> had much luck.  Info on modems seems very old and I have no idea what modem
> I'd need to buy today that would work on Linux for this purpose.
>
> Since I really don't need the modem for anything other than caller id info
> maybe there is another solution besides a modem?
>
> In any case I have just the standard US phone system (no VoIP or anything
> special).
>
> Can someone who has accomplished this recently give me the details on your
> hardware (and a link to where I can buy it).  I am pretty confident I can
> figure out the software side if I can get the right hardware.  I'll update
> the wiki if I am successful.

I think what you need is called an Analog Terminal Adapter (ATA), something like

http://www.voipsolutions.be/analog-adaptors/sip-ata/spa-3102-voip-gateway-with-router-recommended.html

approx 65 euros in Europe.

and you could use asterisk www.asterisk.org as the software.

There may well be better ways, but at least there's some reading for you.

Good luck