[mythtv-users] Can realtime commflagging skip lists become available immediately?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Apr 25 04:12:04 UTC 2007

* On Sun Apr 15, 2007 at 09:10:05PM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> says:
> > When you start watching a recording that is not currently flagged,
> > the player sends out a COMMFLAG_REQUEST event.  If a flagger is
> > currently running for that program, it takes note that someone is
> > watching the recording.
>
> So this is why, when playing back a recording that's being realtime
> commflagged, it always takes up to five seconds or so before the
> commercial-skip list is loaded and the skip keys work! Perhaps this is
> asking too much of a good thing, but could this signaling process be
> made to occur immediately upon the start of playback so that any
> commercials seen (typically the ones that come before the actual start
> of the recording) can be immediately skipped?

There isn't any inherant delay builtin, there may be a slight delay
caused by having to generate the commercial skip list initially when
the player informs the flagger that it wants to receive updates.

If you run both the backend that is running the jobs with "-v commflag,network"
and the frontend with "-v network", then it might show where the delay is
occurring.

The object is to be as fast as possible.  One of my biggest annoyances
is the startup time for playback, but I haven't spent the time to
profile that code much.  I know the OSD CC font generation takes a big
chunk of time, but know there are other culprits also.

--
Chris