[mythtv-users] MythTV performance in a demanding real-life environment

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Apr 9 16:26:03 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> says:
> Just wanted to comment on the commflag jobs.  A ~realtime commflag
> job normally uses much less CPU than a non-realtime job because most
> machines can flag much faster than realtime, so the ~realtime job
> spends most of it's time just sleeping waiting to process the next
> frame.

Yes. However, as the slave backend's CPU ran the jobs on the
recordings stored on the frontend/master backend's RAID 5 array, the
restraining factor was the network connection, not the CPU. Although,
as noted, two of the jobs in the example I wrote up were realtime and
the third was not, all three ran at about 60fps. (I've seen speeds
well into the triple digits with recordings local to the slave
backend's RAID 6 array.)