[mythtv-users] mythvideo file ordering weirdness

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 12:40:09 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/23/2007 05:53 PM, ryan patterson wrote:
> > I'm sure this system makes sense to whomever programed it.  But
> > personally I can't see why you would ever want to remove the
> > information inside of brackets/braces.
>
> Read Anduin's message (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/265603#265603 ),
> specifically the part about, "In your specific case," continuing through
> (and including), "An equally reasonable scenario."
>
> >   I know in my case I explicitly put the information in the file name
> > because I wanted it to be part of the title.  If I didn't want it in
> > the title I wouldn't have put it there.
>
> title != filename
>
> >   Why does mythvideo guess that I want part of the title removed?
>
> Do you really want to see ".avi" or ".mpg" or ".zxw" or whatever?  Isn't
> MythVideo guessing that you want that removed?
>
> Filenames are artificially constrained by filesystem rules, by usability
> requirements (i.e. spaces in filenames are evil), by filesystem encoding
> rules, and more.  The title, on the other hand, is the user-interface
> name (i.e. human-readable) for the video.  Therefore, IMHO, displaying
> the filename exactly as is leaves much to be desired.
>
> Those users who want the filename displayed as is can go into Video
> Manager (or MythWeb) and change the title to be equal to the filename.
> Or, perhaps if someone can prove that >50% of users want the filename
> used as a title, without modification, then the guess title
> functionality can be removed from MythVideo.  :)
>
> (Then again, maybe it's only important to prove that Anduin--the guy who
> puts in a lot of effort to maintain MythVideo--uses the filename without
> modification.  However, I doubt this is the case since, er, well,
> MythVideo modifies the filename to create a title.)
>
> Mike

I think it is clear that I am not using MythVideo the way it is designed to
be used.  But I have absolutely no desire to edit meta data.  I edit the
file name and the directory structure to tell me everything I need to know.
I simply want a menu system in MythFrontend that can navigate the directory
structure and allow me to pick from the files I place in the directories.
In order to do that I need to see the complete file name.  Yes the complete
file name includes stuff in brackets/braces and the file extension.  Even if
some people want MythVideo to automatically guess titles from file names I
can't imagine throwing away the removed information is a good idea.

I'm not trying to say the current design is wrong or bad.  Just it doesn't
fit my usage method.  Also I don't know what the majority of users would
prefer.  I will see if I can figure out how to change this behavior myself.