[mythtv-users] mythvideo file ordering weirdness

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 23 22:08:57 UTC 2007

On 04/23/2007 05:53 PM, ryan patterson wrote:
> I'm sure this system makes sense to whomever programed it.  But
> personally I can't see why you would ever want to remove the
> information inside of brackets/braces.

Read Anduin's message (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/265603#265603 ),
specifically the part about, "In your specific case," continuing through
(and including), "An equally reasonable scenario."

>   I know in my case I explicitly put the information in the file name
> because I wanted it to be part of the title.  If I didn't want it in
> the title I wouldn't have put it there.

title != filename

>   Why does mythvideo guess that I want part of the title removed?

Do you really want to see ".avi" or ".mpg" or ".zxw" or whatever?  Isn't
MythVideo guessing that you want that removed?

Filenames are artificially constrained by filesystem rules, by usability
requirements (i.e. spaces in filenames are evil), by filesystem encoding
rules, and more.  The title, on the other hand, is the user-interface
name (i.e. human-readable) for the video.  Therefore, IMHO, displaying
the filename exactly as is leaves much to be desired.

Those users who want the filename displayed as is can go into Video
Manager (or MythWeb) and change the title to be equal to the filename.
Or, perhaps if someone can prove that >50% of users want the filename
used as a title, without modification, then the guess title
functionality can be removed from MythVideo.  :)

(Then again, maybe it's only important to prove that Anduin--the guy who
puts in a lot of effort to maintain MythVideo--uses the filename without
modification.  However, I doubt this is the case since, er, well,
MythVideo modifies the filename to create a title.)

Mike