[mythtv-users] Recorder failed

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Apr 24 04:57:08 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/23/2007 11:59 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>> I would suggest you go into mythtvsetup -> Capture Cards and choose
>> 'Delete all capture cards'.
>>

> My mission here is now complete.  :)
>
> Thanks for filling in for me, Nick.  And, Rich, Nick is right, you'll
> need the "Delete all capture cards" button.
>
> See, also,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 as,
> generally, when deleting capture cards, it's best to also "Delete all
> video sources".

:)  Now that the panic has subsided (and the other half has gone to
bed), I was able to narrow down the cause for the "Recorder Failed"
message.  It seems that, as an added benefit to the FC5->FC6 upgrade,
the serial port on the motherboard of the backend server decided that it
was no longer going to communicate to the directv RCA set top box via
the serial->RJ45 hood and corresponding RJ45->miniRJ11 custom cable.
Moving the entire contraption over to a USB->serial adapter looks to
have solved the problem.

What I discovered after the initial posting was that *some* items has
been recorded successfully, but not all.  After digging in to it
further, I realized that any time there were multiple items being
recorded, the second (or second and third) one(s) would record
successfully, while the first would fail.  Then, I realized that all of
the failures were happening on the same card.  That's when I saw the
"input/output error" error message which was being barfed back from the
change_channel script (a wrapper around directv.pl).

I don't know what is up with the serial port on the motherboard, but I
can look in to that in the morning.  I guess we will have to live
without the main server controlling our X10 stuff for a day or two.

Thanks for all of the quick help (and for being there)!
-Rich