[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Could/should the shutdown command be kept locally?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 00:35:00 UTC 2007

On 24/04/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Pressing the power button on the frontend machine will gracefully shut
> > the machine down, if you've configured your OS properly. Similarly, so
> > will configuring a remote button to use irexec to shutdown the machine
> > via a simple script.
> >
> > Nick
>
> Yes, I've done that much. However if you are in bed at night and
> pretty much ready to go to sleep so you decide to shut the machine
> down and find out it cannot communicate to the backend server then
> getting out of bed to push the power switch is a minor inconvenience.
> Nothing major of course. I'd even be happy with a non-Myth LIRC-based
> solution that went around Myth completely.

Mark,

(pulled over from -dev list)

Just configure the power (or another) button on the remote to execute
an irexec shutdown script as I alluded to before - key benefit is you
don't need to get out of bed, and it doesn't involve MythTV at all, so
should work even if the frontend fails to connect to the backend.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/