[mythtv-users] Thanks, and 2 more questions

Frank Mckinney krush_groove83 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 23:17:55 UTC 2007

Many thanks to Ben and Nick for your answers - I'd reply properly but I was on the digest method of receiving emails as I was reviewing various issues and seeing what I'm up against :) Anyway I've switched over to the normal mailing list method.

Anyway, two more questions:

1 - I've read that MythTV prefers to be 'set and forget', as in build, install, configure and don't touch it. At the moment what I'm planning is to eventually use the MythTV box as a backend with an Xbox frontend (so I can play games, etc.), but until I can get my hands on a used Xbox, I might have to use the MythTV box as a combined backend/frontend. Is it generally easier to simply re-install and start from scratch in this case, and just use the first experience as a 'getting my hands dirty' type of experience? *

1a - at some point I'll want to add extra hard drive space, or if i can afford it, do a motherboard swap and go to SATA drives, so the same question applies: is it relatively easy to add/swap hard drives?.

2 - As a DVR noob as well, can someone point me to a site that can tell me in super-basic terms what DVB, analogue, etc., mean? Every time I hear the terms I get mixed up and I need it explained to me in terribly basic terms...again, I'm in the UK, so we have Freeview here and I'm not sure what other differences there are between the US and UK digital TV markets.

* I'm still a relative Linux noob (using Ubuntu at home for a couple of
months now) and still sometimes intimidated by the console (although
the Ubuntu Guide site helps quite a lot). I don't mind messing around
with my computer (I'm the only one I know using Ubuntu) so a re-install
isn't that big a deal...

Thanks guys for your patience!

Frank

http://mail.yahoo.com