[mythtv-users] Drive specs best for Myth

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Apr 23 16:57:47 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/23/2007 11:58 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> I suspect, however, that 3 HD streams, a couple of SD streams, video
>> data, perhaps ethernet, sound and who-knows-what else is just asking too
>> much of a consumer-grade PCI buss.
>>

> Especially when you factor in seeking on the disks...
>
> My recommendation is to consider moving your files off the LVM and just
> use multiple directories with Storage Groups (I'm pretty sure you're
> using SVN trunk, right, Kevin?).  Unfortunately, it will require finding
> a place for your existing recordings while you break up the LVM.  (But,
> IMHO, it's well worthwhile..)  The important part is breaking up your
> LVM--you could still use LVM if desired--but having parts on several
> drives (especially when one is the drive with the root partition) seems
> to be less than ideal.

Indeed I do and this was partly my reason for asking.  If I do move to
non-LVM (which I would love to do) then I have to invest in a drive with
some space to migrate stuff around and I was also trying to get a sense
if I should be looking at particular specs when looking for this drive.
My LVM isn't stripped or anything so it is really just a bunch disks
glued together but perhaps the single spanned filesystem isn't helping
either.

Ultimately I think my best bet if my /var migration doesn't pan out is
to get a big 500 or 750GB PATA drive and use it to unLVM my system and
then use it for DVD rip and Video storage since it will likely be the
slowest per-spindle performance due to it's size.

Kevin