[mythtv-users] Diskless Front End (again)

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Apr 23 16:51:09 UTC 2007

Neil Sedger wrote:
> <..snip..>
>> o It does generate an error regarding fstab being ro during startup, and
>> it then hangs for ~2mins at starting /sbin/init
>>

> fstab should be in the snapshot area...
>
> Mine sits at /sbin/init for about 2 mins too. Not sure what its doing as
> there's no output! It doesn't whinge when its done though, just carries
> on normally, so maybe this is just how long it takes?
>

>> o It doesn't start any of the local network services (ssh, ntp, etc).
>> o It doesn't allow me to log in as "root" or as "mythtv".  I can't even
>> /bin/su - as either of those users..
>>

> Not sure about those, but fixing the snapshot problem will very probably
> fix them too. Especially if /etc/passwd and friends are supposed to be
> in the snapshot and therefore out of date... or if it can't write to /var...
>

> What does it say on screen when the snapshot fails?
> Mine has said things like 'dir xxx not found' or 'dir yyy could not be
> created', mostly because of silly typos by me when editing the
> 'files.custom' (or whatever its called) file and trying to remove
> redundant dirs from the 'root' dir on the server...

Just to clarify.. I took the image from a fully functioning FC6
frontend, so, yes, X worked then. :)  You're probably right that the
problem is with the pivot-root or mounting of the individual files over
top of the root filesystem.  The "/.snapshot" directory itself is
getting mounted, but none of the files are being overlayed.

The only noise it generates is in regard to it being unable to write to
fstab.

I guess I will have to dig in to that disklessrc startup script to see
where it might be failing..

-Rich