[mythtv-users] OT: Trying to understand EIT data

Brent brent at brentnorris.net
Mon Apr 23 12:11:44 UTC 2007

I am not an EIT expert, but here is what I understand.

Chad wrote:
> Does EIT data contain information for only the channel that is sending
> it?  In other words (using numbers for examples instead of channel
> names) if I get EIT data from 5_2 will it contain programming
> information for 13_1?

It contains information for its channel and maybe any other channels on
its multiplex.  So 13_1, would also carry data for 13_2, and 13_3, but
not 5_1 or 5_2.  That information would be on the 5_x multiplex.

> Does EIT data contain programming information?  This is somewhat
> unclear in what I've read so far.  It implies that is exactly what it
> contains, but never really says it.  I'm wondering if maybe EIT is
> just a fancy new Closed Caption system, or if it's what it seems to be
> (program guide embedded in the data stream).

That is what it contains, though right now I seem to get less accurate
data from it than what I get from DataDirect, but I think people are
still working on the best way to use it or something.  This is
especially a problem on the upper multiplex channels of the local KET
station.  It is almost always not correct.

> Do all OTA providers provide EIT data?  Meaning, is it requirement, or
> a choice?  Do any cable providers provide EIT data, or is it just an
> OTA thing?

Seems to be a choice right now.  I know that the local 13 station just
started providing it.

> Is it "standard"?  Meaning, if I set up a system to use EIT and then
> take it to my brother's house, is it going to get the data for his
> area or "go nuts" and crash the system?

I think the most recently received data seems to overwrite whatever was
there before, so I would think that would be what would happen.  Plus
you typically only get a few future days EIT information.

Interestingly you picked two of the stations that I also have.  Are you
in the Nashville TN/Bowling Green KY area?

Brent