[mythtv-users] OT: Trying to understand EIT data

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 07:32:33 UTC 2007

Hello!

So, with the recent unhappiness and discussion surrounding DataDirect,
I've been looking at EIT as an alternate.  However, as with most
things at first, I'm not clear on what it is or how it works.

I live in the USA, and most of the info out there talks about DVB
(which, from my understanding, does not use DVB but rather NTSC and
ATSC).  I realize that NTSC probably doesn't have any EIT data in it's
analog stream.  But some of the pages I've read seem to suggest that
ATSC does.  So, can I use this information with MythTV?

Here's my barrage of questions, feel free to answer any of them in any order :)

Does EIT data contain information for only the channel that is sending
it?  In other words (using numbers for examples instead of channel
names) if I get EIT data from 5_2 will it contain programming
information for 13_1?

Does EIT data contain programming information?  This is somewhat
unclear in what I've read so far.  It implies that is exactly what it
contains, but never really says it.  I'm wondering if maybe EIT is
just a fancy new Closed Caption system, or if it's what it seems to be
(program guide embedded in the data stream).

Do all OTA providers provide EIT data?  Meaning, is it requirement, or
a choice?  Do any cable providers provide EIT data, or is it just an
OTA thing?

Is it "standard"?  Meaning, if I set up a system to use EIT and then
take it to my brother's house, is it going to get the data for his
area or "go nuts" and crash the system?

Well, I think that may be enough to clear some of the cloudiness up
and help me to research it a bit more.

Thanks!

-Chad