[mythtv-users] not really softpad (I don't think)

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 04:08:07 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Robert Tsai <mythtv at tsaiberspace.net> wrote:

> Is there a way to express "record for up to 60 minutes" in a recording
> rule (bonus point to "end early" if the schedule for some reason is
> less than 60 minutes, say 8-8:45pm or something)?

You could set up a manual recording for that time period.

I think this was what the whole "softpad" feature was attempting to
> address, but I never followed that discussion. If that is the case,
> can someone confirm that, and I'll go catch up myself?

That's not what softpad addresses. The idea behind softpad is to drop the
padding if that would allow an extra recording to be scheduled. Say you want
to record a show from 8-9 and another show starting a 9. Normally you would
have to alter the padding on the two shows so there was no overlap or miss
one of the shows (we're assuming both shows must be recorded on the same
tuner and that there is no later showing of either - if these assumptions
are incorrect then softpadding isn't required). The softpad branch allows
the scheduler to remove the padding automatically if that is the only way to
record both shows.

Steve