[mythtv-users] HD-5500 will not tune NTSC channels.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Apr 23 01:53:09 UTC 2007

Thomas Kessler wrote:

>> So, I loaded both the cx88-dvb and cx8800 modules. Then I verified both
>> worked with tvtime and azap/mplayer. So this is definitely an issue with
>> MythTV. I suppose it's the same issue as being unable to scan with the
>> 2.6.20 kernel on DVB cards? I'll try installing SVN 12618, maybe that
>> will
>> fix the problem??

> Tried SVN 12618, still no luck. Got the same messages in dmesg, just not as
> many (no repeated error message). Unless someone knows what is going, I
> just
> won't use the NTSC side of the HD-5500... ;0<

The post 12618 problem only affects scanning on the ATSC side of things.

When you switch modes it is as if you swapped cards completely. So you
need a lineup distinct to NTSC channels. Your error message about wrong
modulation implies to me that you are trying to tune an NTSC channel,
using an ATSC-channel tuning method (because myth thinks it is dealing
with an ATSC channel). That fails, of course.

If you HAVE defined 2 lineups, it sounds like your NTSC channel listing
has the same modulation value as the ATSC....

For NTSC tuning, your card would not (properly) use the dtv_multiplex
table... which is the one place where modulation appears. (It should be
qam_256 for digital cable: in mysql:

select modulation from dtv_multiplex;

Geoff
Geoff