[mythtv-users] Drive specs best for Myth

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Apr 23 01:00:33 UTC 2007

What are the drive characteristics best for MythTV?  I'm trying to
eliminate any IOBOUND messages and I'm thinking that my three drive
setup isn't ideal.  I'm trying to decide if I need to focus on spindles
(more smaller drives), seek times, RPM, or a combination.  I seem to run
into trouble only when recording 2 HD, one HD commflag, and one or more
SD recordings happening at the same time.  Right now one of the drives
is being shared with the root partition of my system but I'm working to
move /var (for the database and logging) to a separate drive to
eliminate that as a source of IO contention.

If anyone has done some investigation into larger disk configurations
and the specs that work best, I'd appreciate some guidance.  I'm
currently limited to EIDE drives (no SATA controllers)

Thanks,
Kevin