[mythtv-users] laptop to ide adapters

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 01:32:35 UTC 2007

On 4/21/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> One of my mythtv frontend systems was running off of a laptop drive.  I
> Obviously, this thing was cheap.. especially if it failed.  Am I sure it
> failed?  Well, two known-good laptop drives won't even spin up with it.
>
> So.. since I need a replacement to get this FE back up and running, does
> anyone have any recommendations as to where to buy this in the hopes
> that I might actually get one that is made a bit better than this one
> here?

2.5" to 3.5" adapters are purely passive - there are no electronic
components involved. So the only way they can fail is if there is a break in
a wire somewhere. Is there any obvious damage to the adapter? Are you sure
it's not the IDE controller or the 3.5" cable that's the problem?

If you do need to replace the adapter I'd recommend just getting another
cheap one. Around these parts they go for about US$5-10, including mounting
bracket. There's really not enough to them to justify paying much extra for
the promise of quality.

Steve