[mythtv-users] storage groups with a slave backend

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 20 22:59:09 UTC 2007

Matt wrote:
> - I have a master backend that has two local drives mounted, each
> drive is a storage group
> - I'm adding a slave backend/frontend that has a tuner, but I do not
> want to use any local diskspace.  I want it to use the same disks and
> storage groups on the master backend.
>
> 1) Do I need to do anything on the slave backend in order to configure
> it to point to these groups?

If the dirs are NFS mounted on the same path for the slave
backend as the path on the master and NFS server then no.
If there are no per host paths for the Default SG on a slave,
it will assume that the paths are the same as the master.

> Do I need to configure the storage groups in mythtv-setup on the slave?

Not if the paths are the same. However, if the NFS mounted path
is different than the master then you need to add the local paths
for the Default group by running mythtv-setup on the slave.

mysql> select * from storagegroup;
+----+-----------+----------+-----------------+
| id | groupname | hostname | dirname         |
+----+-----------+----------+-----------------+
|  1 | Default   | mythmstr | /video1/mythtv/ |
+----+-----------+----------+-----------------+
|  2 | Default   | mythmstr | /video2/mythtv/ |
+----+-----------+----------+-----------------+

If you NFS mount "/video1" on mythslv then it will find the
dir as "/video1/mythtv/". However if you mount it as
"/remote/video1" then you need to run mythtv-setup from
mythslv and add:

+----+-----------+----------+------------------------+
| id | groupname | hostname | dirname                |
+----+-----------+----------+------------------------+
|  3 | Default   | mythslv  | /remote/video1/mythtv/ |
|  4 | Default   | mythslv  | /remote/video2/mythtv/ |

> Do I need to mount the drives via NFS?

Yes. For the slave to record, it needs a pathname that it can
write to.

>  Anything else?

Not that I can think of.

--  bjm