[mythtv-users] Problems with NFS

nasa01 at comcast.net nasa01 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 11:17:39 UTC 2007

From: "Marco Nelissen" <marcone at xs4all.nl>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I am having an issue with my NFS mounts. I have a raid server, which stores
> media files (music, video, pictures, etc).
> >
> >My problem: I can mount the NFS directories without issue and I can read files
> from those directories also with no issues. However, if I try and move/copy a
> file from a directory locally located on the machine onto a NFS mounted
> directory the move/copy will start and then hang. looking at the process using
> 'ps aux' shows the applicable process hanging with a D+. Anyone have any idea
> what could be causing this? From the computer that has the NFS directories
> mounted, I can 'cd' into the NFS mounted directory and create files. ie: I
> could do "touch test" and "rm test" without issue.
>
> Is it actually completely hanging (forever) or just slow? I'm having
> an issue with a RAID server mounted over NFS where while a copy is in
> progress, accessing the NFS mount becomes really slow. For example,
> if I type "ls -l /mnt/videos" (/mnt/videos is where the server is
> mounted at), while I'm copying a large file to the NFS server, the
> 'ls' command can take over a minute to complete.
> The linux kernel mailing list has some discussions about NFS stalls,
> but those should have been fixed in the kernel-version I'm using.
Nope, I am pretty sure it's hung.  Until I try to kill the process, I can do other commands like "ls" and "du -sh".  Using the du command I can watch the file size of the file being copied.  I notice it growing for a little while and then stopping.  In additon I will note less activity over the network.  Once I try and kill the cp process, those commands will then also hang.
All that said, last night I tried to go to Samba using CIFS.  It works better -- but eventually, I run into similar type problems.  So it may not be strictly NFS.  Strange thing is...  scp works all the time.

Nasa