[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 18 21:12:00 UTC 2007

I _am_ disagreeing with you a lot on this thread, but...

On 17 Apr 2007, at 16:38, Brian Wood wrote:
> Seagate's 5-year warranty is marketing, not engineering. IMHO the
> hassle of keeping the documentation and perhaps the packaging, paying
> for shipping, perhaps both ways, and going through the process of
> replacement. Seagate/Maxtor (they are the same Co. now) knows that
> the odds of someone actually getting a warranty replacement for a 5-
> year-old drive is close to nil.

I have had many frequent successes obtaining warranty drives without
any paperwork at all. Any business buying hard-drives would retain
the individual purchase receipt for 5 years as part of their regular
accounting, but nevertheless that is unnecessary as one simply enters
the serial number on the manufacturers website & an RMA is issued.

I have regularly found hard-drives bought for £1 at the tip or at car-
boot sales (like US garage-sales) to be dead & warrantied - here
postage on a hard-drive to the next state (Holland or Ireland) is
about £6. Granted I can get an 80gig hard-drive for about £30 new
these days (and 500gig for probably £80 or £100, I guess), but if I
don't need that amount of space £6 is much more affordable. I'd
probably expect to receive back a minimum of 40gig if returning an
EIDE disk under warranty these days, but that's still plenty for o/s,
web-browse,r word-processor, documents, email & a few photos.

Stroller.