[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 17 22:53:31 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 3:09 PM, ryan patterson wrote:

> I said the warranty is the PRIMARY reason SCSI drives are more
> expensive.  I never said it was the only reason. Why do you want to
> compare a 15k RPM SCSI drive against a regular IDE (do you actually
> mean ATA) drive?  That is like comparing a Ford focus against a
> Chevy corvette and saying all Chevys are expensive because they are
> all sportscars.

I'd agree that the longer warranty is *a* reason for higher cost, not
sure I'd buy it being the *primary* reason. I think technically ATA
and SATA drives are both "IDE" in that they have integrated
controllers, but I really don't think anybody failed to understand
what I meant.

> I really don't understand your logic about how you would rather
> just buy a new drive then get a warranty replacement.  If you ever
> used RAID you would know that when a drive fails there is no point
> in replacing it with a larger drive.  All the extra space will be
> wasted.  Also the warranty applies to the replacement drive too.
> Why do you think it wouldn't?

The original warranty applies to the replacement, so if you had a 5-
year warranty and the drive failed after 4-1/2 years you would only
have 6 months left on the warranty for the replacement device.

I just said that I personally would not bother with the hassle of
replacing a relatively small (by today's standards) drive, especially
if it had only a year or less to run on the warranty. You do not have
to understand my logic, I was merely stating a fact. If you disagree
with me I am interested in your reasoning, but I doubt you will
change my mind.

> All hard drive manufacturers make drives that fail.  There is no
> company that makes a drive that is guarantied to not be replaced.
> So even though you would be happy to pay for that, you can't.  If
> you plan on upgrading to a newer hard drive in a year or two then
> by all means buy a cheap one with a short warranty.  There is
> nothing wrong with that.

I certainly can't buy a drive that won't fail, but I will pay more
for one that has less likelihood of failing, regardless of what the
warranty is.

  No matter how hard you try you cannot "warrant" quality into a
product.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org