[mythtv-users] blue screen issue

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 18 14:39:50 UTC 2007

On 04/18/2007 08:21 AM, matt lutz wrote:
> I'm trying to use an old laptop with a busted LCD screen as a
> front-end only device.  It's a p4 (2Ghz).  I loaded FC6 onto it and
> most things seem to work okay.  Unfortunately when trying to watch
> live tv or recorded programs, all I see is a blue screen.  All of the
> menus & preview video is fine.

Your video drivers only support Xv output on the first display (as do
pretty much all of them--ATI, NVIDIA, ...).  Therefore, the /right/
answer is to tell X /not/ to use the LCD (which becomes the first
display).  Set up X to ignore the LCD and use /only/ the monitor.  This
means, a default X configuration won't work.

> When I try to watch a recorded video with mplayer, the same thing
> happens.  However, if I do an "mplayer -vo gl [filename]" it plays
> fine.  I'm assuming the two are related, and it's the xvmc
> acceleration that's breaking things.  I started myth using "NO_XV=1
> mythfrontend" and the video did play back, but it was pretty choppy.

NO_XV means no Xv.  Granted, without Xv, XvMC is impossible, so it does
disable XvMC, but you /need/ Xv support.

> The laptop has an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility graphics card.  Is there
> anyway to tell myth to use the equivalent of "-vo gl" option in mplayer?

There's no way that you want to use.

Mike