[mythtv-users] prebuffering pause???

Carl Reynolds mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Apr 18 05:20:49 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
 > cannot keep up and its dropping a frame. This could be a driver issue
 > or something else. Tell us about your system so we can help. What are
 > you trying to display? Standard tv or HD. Processor speed, video card,
 > capture card(s)......etc.

William, Thanks for your response,

I'm using the following setup:
     PVR-350
     nVidia geForce 6200
     AMD-3200+
     1024MB of RAM
     trying to display Standard TV from a cable connection.
     Fedora Core-6

Mark Lehrer wrote:
 > In my case, I had to adjust the following:
 >
 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

Mark, I'll look into that and see if it makes any difference.

Endaf Jones wrote:
 > For me, it's normal when watching Live-TV.  If you pause the program
 > for about 5 seconds and then resume does the problem go away?

Endaf, that's a simple test. I'll have to try that one before I try
anything else.

One other note of interest. I noticed earlier that a tree has fallen
across the cable line out in the alley behind the house. It doesn't seem
to be affecting the quality of the pictures on my MythTV or any of the
other TVs in the house, but I wonder if it may be creating enough of a
ground fault that it is introducing noise into the signal and that is
what is causing all these messages. There seem to be quite a lot of
error messages coming out of mpeg2video as well. I'll have to look into
that and see if I can get to cable company to clear the tree from the line.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Carl.