[mythtv-users] BE Disk / Filesystem Layout

Paul Mathews pma5201 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 18:03:25 UTC 2007

>For you it apparently is. For me, if an 80 or 120GB drive that I had purchased 3 or 4 years ago failed I would just replace it with a larger one, >even if it was still "under warranty". It's just not worth the hassle, plus the shipping cost, for a drive I could buy today for $35. The shipping might >cost me $20 so I would be "saving" $15 in order to get an obsolete small-capacity drive, just not worth it. Remember too, if you read your >warranty, that the maker has the right to "replace" your drive with a used one, not a new one, and you do not get any additional warranty beyond >your original purchase.>

While it is true that many manufacturers send back refurbished drives to replace a failed one under warranty, the remainder of the warranty still applies to the refurbished drive you receive in return. In addition, I have found that many times if you send in a drive that is no longer being actively produced, they will send back a larger drive in return - I once received a 250GB drive from an RMA of an 80.

http://mail.yahoo.com