[mythtv-users] --noautoexpire, --nosched, --nohousekeeper OK for slave backend?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Apr 18 01:40:28 UTC 2007

* On Tue Apr 17, 2007 at 09:01:54AM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> > > Slave backends already do this internally, they don't run the
> > > Scheduler, Housekeeper, or AutoExpire code.
> >
> > That being said, though, Chris, is it not correct to say the following?
> >
> > However, you don't want to run your slave backends with those
> > arguments because there are some functions performed, for example by
> > the housekeeper, on startup.  So, please let Myth take care of
> > disabling those unnecessary functions for you.
>
> It's still not clear to me which versions you're talking about. I
> should have specified I'm using 0.20-fixes in my original message,
> though. So, in 0.20-fixes, for a slave backend, I should or should not
> use --noautoexpire and --nosched? I do gather from the above that I
> should not use --nohousekeeper (or is that, again, only for SVN)?

You should never run with any of those unless you know what you are doing
and are willing to have certain parts of Myth not function properly.

I think the --no* options started out when I added the --nosched so that
I could develop on a tunerless system.  Then I added the file:/filename.mpg
'virtual' tuner for development and late made it so that nosched actually
lets you test the scheduler as well.  --nosched actually only disables
the firing off of new recordings, the scheduler still runs as normal
otherwise.  --nohousekeeper was added so that mythfilldatabase won't try
to run the first time I fire up the backend on my dev system each day.
--nojobqueue is there so that I can disable jobs so that my dev system
doesn't get bogged down with running flagging jobs, etc. that are in
the queue.  --noupnp was added because of the 100% CPU bug that was in
there a while back, but this option is going to go away soon when the UPNP
code becomes a requirement of running Myth.  --noautoexpire is there for
testing also.

--nohousekeeper

Mike is right, you shouldn't disable the housekeeper on a slave because
there are housekeeping jobs (not JobQueue jobs) that get run even on
a slave.  Applies to all versions.

--nosched

The scheduler is already disabled on a slave, so this has no effect.
Applies to all versions.

--noautoexpire

On SVN trunk, the AutoExpirer doesn't get run on slaves anyway,
so --noautoexpire has no effects at all on a slave.  On 0.20-fixes and
prior, it has negative effects because only the backend that recorded
a file could expire it.

--nojobqueue

This disables the JobQueue, so it's up to you whether to use it or not,
knowing the consequences that no jobs will get run on this backend.
Applies to all versions.

--noupnp

This is temporary in SVN trunk and is going away sometime before 0.21
anyway.  The option may stay in the code, but it won't actually do
anything and will disappear from the --help text probably.  Applies
only to SVN trunk.

--
Chris