[mythtv-users] SVN 13224 - new error mytharchivehelper

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 17 12:42:23 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> Thanks for the post Paul.
>
> 3 follow up questions.
>
> 1) When compiling Myth I supplied /usr/local as the prefix, this is on
> an Ubuntu box. However the plugins don't allow for an extension when
> compiling and Myth backend and frontend are working fine. Why aren't
> the plugins using the same prefix?

Not sure what you mean by extension? You can add a --prefix=/usr/local
or whatever to tell configure what install prefix to use. When you do
that you are actually telling it where to find the mythconfig.mak file.
The actual install prefix that will be used is read from there. If you
take a look at that file the first setting is there it should be
something like 'PREFIX=/usr/local' or whatever install prefix you used
to install mythtv.

> 2) Since I'm having some sort of prefix issue as you describe how can
> I be certain to remove all installations from the machine? just go
> into the directory's and delete them from either /usr or /usr/local?

Main thing is to make sure you don't have several myth* executables in
your path and several versions of the libmyth* libraries installed.
Remove all myth* files (mythfrontend, mythbackend etc) from /usr/bin and
/usr/local/bin and from any other install prefix you may have used. Also
look in /usr/lib and usr/local/lib for any files called libmyth*
(libmyth-0.20.so, libmythavcodec-0.20.so etc) and remove those. You can
remove the /usr/lib/mythtv and /usr/local/lib/mythtv directories and
everything in there. That's where the plugins live and also where the
playback filters are. Finally there is the shared directory that lives
in /usr/share/mythtv or /usr/local/share/mythtv. If you want to start
afresh it should be safe to just remove these shared directories and
anything in there.

> 3) Will running DistClean remove all versions of installed Myth and
> it's associated prefixes?

'make distclean' just removes all the files created during a build from
the source directories it wont remove any installed files. 'make
uninstall' should remove all/most installed files I think.

> Thanks,

Paul H.