[mythtv-users] SVN 13224 - new error mytharchivehelper

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 17 09:36:29 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> All was going well until I got a different error this time? Any ideas?
>
> cd mytharchivehelper && make -f Makefile
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/mythtv/mythplugins/mytharchive/mytharchivehelper'
> g++ -c -pipe -Wall -W -fomit-frame-pointer -D_REENTRANT  -D_GNU_SOURCE
> -DPREFIX=\"\" -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
> -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I.
> -I/include -I/usr/kde/3.3/include -I/include -I/include/mythtv
> -I/usr/include/qt3 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -o main.o
> main.cpp
> main.cpp:29:28: error: ffmpeg/avcodec.h: No such file or directory
> main.cpp:30:29: error: ffmpeg/avformat.h: No such file or directory
> main.cpp:31:35: error: libmythtv/programinfo.h: No such file or directory

It's definitely down to user error :-). Exactly what I'm not sure but
the problem is configure hasn't got the right install prefix. The
-DPREFIX=\"\" is the giveaway along with the -I/include/ entries. They
should start with /usr or /usr/local depending on what install prefix
you use. 9 times out of 10 this is caused by the user not compiling
_and_ installing mythtv _before_ doing the plugins.

You have to install MythTV first so that the header files required to
compile the plugins can be found. They use the installed headers *not*
the headers in the mythtv source. The headers should be in
'PREFIX/include/mythtv' Also the plugin's configure script needs access
to a file called mythconfig.mak that contains many configure settings
including the all important 'PREFIX=xxx' install prefix. This file is
installed along with the headers in
PREFIX/include/mythtv/mythconfig.mak'. If all is well after you run the
plugins configure script you should have a sym link in your top level
mythplugins source directory that points to the installed mythconfig.mak
file.

This doesn't sound like your problem but another common problem is
having two versions of myth installed using different install prefixes.
It's common for packaged installs to use  '/usr' as the prefix but  the
default when you compile from source is to install into 'usr/local'.

This is such a FAQ somebody should put some stuff into the docs so we
can point people there the next time this comes up.

Paul H.