[mythtv-users] Tuner cards that do HD?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 07:54:48 UTC 2007

> I'm only seeing those channels directly on my TV (NOT through myth). So
> from what you've said it sounds like even if I go with the HDHR (which
> definitely sounds like a good idea) I'll have to handle the standard
> analog channels separately.

:)

It's more like, "it depends".  I understand you don't have a box, so
take my response as a "he knows I don't have a box" response.  Your
cable company (probably) sends both analog and digital over the same
wire, into your house.  A cable box will be able to decrypt any
encrypted channels you are entitled to, as well as display the
unencrypted digital channels.  Your TV can display any unencrypted
channels, and with the right tuner type (which you would HAVE to have
to get the subchannels) of ATSC, you can also watch some digital
channels.  So, back to my original response, it depends.  Because your
TV has both an analog and a digital tuner (apparently in 1 jack since
you don't know this...) it's going to be hard to blindly tell what is
digital (not HD) and what is analog (definitely not HD).  It's easy to
see what is HD simply by looking at the channel (7_2 is digital HD (or
SD, but still digital) while 7 is either/or, but not HD).  With an
"HDTV" tuner card (pcHDTV 3000, A180, HDHomeRun, etc) you may be able
to pickup more than just HDTV stations, but you won't know that until
you physically have one of those cards.  Your HDTV "tuner cards" will
be able to tune the digital channels as well *if* they are not
encrypted and are coming in over the same cable.

Hopefully it's not too complicated, and yes, there are probably some
technical errors in there, but from a users perspective that's about
the gist.

-Chad