[mythtv-users] Tuner cards that do HD?

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Tue Apr 17 06:10:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 23:27 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
--snip--
> > So channel 6 standard, shows up as 6-1 HD, 8 standard is 8-1 HD, etc. I
> > also have a block of about 20-30 digital channels in the 70-something
> > range that I'm guessing are probably used for digital cable related
> > stuff like on-demand and the such.
--snip--
> So you are probably watching the 6 channel and 8 channel as NTSC (analog
> SD) and the 6-1 and 8-1 as ATSC HD. You may, or may not, be getting
> Discovery in a digital form on one of those #70 channels. But since you
> are watching the 8-1 in HD, HOW are you watching it? You MUST have some
> form of ATSC tuner to get that. Can you not use that tuner to tune to
> channel 70 or whatever?
>
> And note that channel '70' may well be a virtual channel: that is, an
> arbitrary number used by Comcast to designate this particular digital
> stream. The stream may well be broadcast on 'real' channel 64, stream
> pid (serviceid) 1701...

I'm only seeing those channels directly on my TV (NOT through myth). So
from what you've said it sounds like even if I go with the HDHR (which
definitely sounds like a good idea) I'll have to handle the standard
analog channels separately.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837