[mythtv-users] stray viewings being left as recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 17 02:08:08 UTC 2007

On 04/16/2007 08:25 PM, Paul Webber wrote:
> I notice as I'm channel surfing that each time a new video file is
> created, such as 6009_20070415214005.mpg and it ends up in my
> recordings directory (ie the one specified by RecordFilePrefix in
> mythconverg.settings), and those files aren't deleted when I stop
> watching tv.  So after a couple days of use,

With default settings LiveTV is deleted after 1 day.  So, either you've
changed your settings or, more likely, you haven't been looking closely
enough at the times on those files/recordings.

> I have around 30 files lingering in my recordings directory, most of
> them are just 15 second clips

Any "clip" under 2 minutes long is deleted virtually instantly on
channel change.  Therefore, I'd guess you haven't tried playing back any
of these to see how long they are.  And, before you ask,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Why_aren.27t_my_new_recordings_showing_up_in_Watch_Recordings.3F

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Why_is_MythTV_recording_EVERYTHING_I_watch_in_Live_TV.3F

>   Is this what it's supposed to do?  Is there a way to make it only
> save shows that I actually recorded or scheduled and not save a bunch
> of files every time I surf the channels?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#But_my_Harddrive_keeps_filling_up_from_all_these_Live_TV_recordings.21_How_do_I_stop_it_from_recording.3F

Wow.  FAQ 8.1 and 8.1.1 in order...  I wonder if the next question
you'll ask is, "It didn't used to do this, why did it change?"

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#It_didn.27t_used_to_do_this.2C_why_did_it_change.3F

(which would be 8.1.2).  :)

Mike