[mythtv-users] PiP gets confused

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Apr 17 01:59:31 UTC 2007

On Monday 16 April 2007 19:30, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > I was watching 2 hockey games tonight, exercising PiP and noticed
> > that it gets
> > confused the longer it runs or the more I swap channels.
> >
> > I have a PVR-550 on 0.20 on FC5.
> >
> > After a few switches, switching took longer and longer, with 100%
> > CPU use
> > in-between. I noticed in my MythWeb Recorded Programs (Live TV)
> > that there
> > were multiple recordings in progress. Eventually, switching back to
> > a channel
> > started handing me back to an earlier place in time: an earlier
> > period of the
> > game I was switching to. This is reproducible - it just happened
> > again after
> > only a couple switches when I went back into LiveTV.
>
> As I suspected, from the return addy:
>
> Only a Canadian would watch two hockey games at once :-)

Oh ya! This time of year demands it!

> Are you simply swapping between the two channels, the main one and
> the PiP one?, not changing channels or anything else?

Yes, just 2 channels, a game on each.

> I just tried about 50 back and forth switches on my system with no
> problems.
>
> So obviously *something* is different between our systems, we might
> as well start with the version. This is an older 0.19 system using
> PVR-150s, so if it's a bona-fide "bug" it could have come in anytime
> in the last year if you're running a current system.
>
> Can you get a terminal, perhaps via SSH, and try and see what process
> (es) is(are) taking up all the CPU? Have to start someplace.

It looks like mythfrontend uses about 30+% CPU while viewing, and 60+% while
switching. mythbackend and ivtv-enc sit around 1%. The machine is doing
nothing but entertaining me with fine athletics. ;-) It took me about a
half-dozen switches for one channel to revert to an earlier time period.